This product is currently sold out.
- What's included?
This beautiful design is featured on the decorative plasterwork at Blackwell House, a wonderful example of Arts & Crafts architecture and decorative arts in the Lake District, England. During the late nineteenth century there was a resurgence of interest in hand-made crafts, encouraged by such figures as William Morris and John Ruskin, in a reaction to the impersonality of mass produced industrial goods.
Throughout this historic house the architect, Baillie Scott, has incorporated a wide variety of crafts. These include tiles in the fireplaces, carved stone and wood, stained glass, mosaic floors, wrought iron and lead work, hessian wall hangings and the plaster work in the White Drawing Room, which I have now recreated in crewel work for this kit. Rowan leaves and berries form the dominant decorative theme in this wonderful house and they in turn are the perfect vehicle for a range of interesting and enjoyable stitches in this design.
As well as the usual crewel stitches such as Stem, French Knots and Long & Short, you will come across a number of less common stitches in the Rowan berries, such as Pistil, Whipped Spider's, Buttonhole, and Spiral Buttonhole. You could also use the Rowan berries to experiment with other stitches that you feel might work in the space.
Linen size 20 1/2 x 19”
Design size 16 1/2 x 12”
Crewel Stem Stitch, French Knots, Long & Short as ‘soft shading’, Pistil Stitch, Whipped Spider’s Web, Buttonhole Stitch, Spiral Buttonhole Stitch
- What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the easy-to-follow stitch chart
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles