Glamis Crown, Rose & Thistle
This product is currently sold out.
- What's included?
The Crown, Rose and Thistle design is taken from the bedhead on the four-poster bed in HRH The Queen Mother's Bedchamber in Glamis Castle where Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore, embroidered the Thistle of Scotland, the Rose of England and the Crown of Royalty. The ‘S’ stands for Strathmore, their ancient Scottish family who supported King James VI when he travelled south and took the English crown in 1603.
Cecilia was the mother of HRH The Queen Mother and the maternal grandmother and Godmother of our present Queen and in 2000, her great-nephew, The Earl of Kinghorne and Strathmore, commissioned Phillipa to recreate the by then lost bedspread for The Queen Mother’s bed. We have exclusive access to this design.
I hope you enjoy this design and that you too will cherish your Crown, Rose and Thistle as much as the Stathmore family have done over the generations. They are delighted to know that Cecilia’s design is appreciated by visitors to the castle as well as those re-creating her beautiful needlework in far-away lands.
Linen size - 25" x 25"
Design size - 18" x 18”
Long and Short as ‘soft shading’, Crewel Stem Stitch, Satin Stitch, French Knots. Laid & Couched Work
- What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the easy-to-follow stitch chart
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles