This product is currently sold out.
- What's included?
Situated on cliffs between East and West Wemyss in Fife, Wemyss Castle was built in 1421 by Sir John Wemyss and is the ancient seat of the Earls of Wemyss. This design is replicated from a 17th Century bed pelmet in Wemyss Castle, Scotland.
Wemyss Castle is known as the place where Lord Darnley met his future wife, Mary Queen of Scots, in 1565. The castle is the family home of the current Earl and Countess of Wemyss and is not open to the public. However The Wemyss School of Needlework, in a lodge at the castle gates, has recently been opened to the public by Fiona Wemyss as a centre for teaching and study. This bed pelmet and its pair, as well as other needlework from the castle, can be seen by appointment at the School.
This design has been replicated by the kind permission of The Earl of Wemyss and a percentage of the proceeds from the sale of this kit supports The Wemyss School of Needlework and its unique needlework collection.
Linen size 26 1/2 x 21 1/2”
Design size 14 1/2 x 9 1/2”
French Knots, Crewel Cross Stitch, Crewel Stem Stitch, Lazy Daisy, Long & Short as ‘soft shading’
- What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the easy-to-follow stitch chart
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles