This product is currently sold out.
- What's included?
This large firescreen is an original 19th Century design from Mellerstain House in Scotland, the ancestral home of the Earls of Haddington.
Phillipa has been researching the needlework at Mellerstain House for many years and was given permission by The Countess of Haddinton to reproduce some of their most beautiful designs as kits, such as this classic Arts & Crafts Crewel Work Tree of Life design with parrots and woodland animals.
This is a Level 3 kit due to it’s size and the intricate detail of some of the stitches. In terms of the actual stitches used however, it is no more difficult than our Level two kits. We would encourage the intermediate stitcher to give it a go!
Once finished, this piece can be made into a Firescreen as shown, a wall hanging, or a framed picture. The intricate design employs the full range of traditional crewel stitches.
Linen size 30.5 x 24”
Design size 19 x 16”
Padded Satin Stitch, Laid & Couched Work, Crewel Stem Stitch, Closed Fly Stitch, French Knots, Long & Short Stitch as ‘soft shading’
- What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the easy-to-follow stitch chart
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles