This product is currently sold out.
- What's included?
This exciting design is a detail from “The Flight of Icarus”, a Scottish Arts and Crafts embroidery in Phillipa’s own Crewel Work collection. The full design, which is an adaptation of the traditional “Tree of Life”, is a reflection of the new styles that prevailed at the end of the 19th Century. You can see the full design on a silk scarf in our gifts section. As you embroider the stylised sun and bird in mid-flight, you will perfect your technique in two core Crewel Work stitches - Crewel Stem and Long and Short as ‘soft shading’. You will work these stitches to create a raised and painterly impression with create a 3D effect.
Linen size 16 1/2 x 17 1/2”
Design size 9 1/2 x 10 ½”
Crewel Stem, Long and Short as ‘soft shading’, Satin Stitch
- What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for us, accurately screen-printed with the design outline and stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the easy-to-follow stitch chart
- Easy-to-follow, detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Detailed, full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- One each of our bespoke gold-plated and polished nickel crewel needles