Aesop's Mirror Frame
The Aesop's Frame is an extravagant, beautiful Crewel Work Arts & Crafts design featuring a charming scene of eleven decoratively arranged woodland birds and animals. The embroidered frame can be used in many ways: as a cushion, framed around a mirror or photograph, as a clock, or, with words added to the centre, as a keepsake of a date after a special occasion.
The colour palette, design details, materials, threads and stitching techniques of this Aesop’s Fables design are all informed by the Arts & Crafts era. A variety of crewel stitches in a muted range of colours are featured: Long and Short as 'soft shading', Long and Short Buttonhole, Crewel Stem, Satin, Seeding, French Knots and Closed Fly Stitches.
All those who purchase this product will be supported with a set of video tutorials by Phillipa, plus the chance to connect with one another on social media on our private Aesop's Facebook page.
Linen size: 66 x 55cm (26 x 22 in.)
Design size: 50 x 39cm (20 x 15 1/2 in.)
You will receive the following materials:
- Jacobean Linen 'Z' twist Twill practice linen printed with example motifs
- Jacobean Linen 'Z' twist pure linen Twill printed with the design
- Appleton’s 2ply crewel embroidery wools in muted Arts & Crafts colours
- Renaissance fine-gauge 2 ply embroidery wools for pinpoint accuracy
- De Vere conservation soft sheen silk which contrasts with the wool threads
- 94 page, A4 instruction booklet, with our bespoke colour illustrations depicting each feature with step-by-step illustrated instructions
- 4 x A3 Stitch charts to show you where each colour goes
- 2 x silver size 1 crewel needles
- 2 x gold plated size 2 crewel needles
- 2 x silver size 3 crewel needles
- 2 x long beading needles
- Full-colour A3 poster of the design
Typical of the Arts & Crafts era, the Aesops Fables design features a variety of crewel stitches such as Long and Short 'soft shading', Long and Short Buttonhole, Crewel Stem, Satin, Seeding, French Knots and Closed Fly Stitches.
The Frame and the full set of animals as a kit come with our 92-page spiral-bound Aesop's Fables instruction book. The introductory pages of the book combined with the practice linen allow you to brush up your needlework skills and become confident with the materials and your chosen equipment before embarking on the design. This instruction book takes you from each animal in turn, beginning with the easiest of the animals, the Squirrel, and finishing with the most challenging, the Woodpigeon.
We are excited to be offering our set of individual animals and bird featured on this frame here.